American Offshore Whaling Voyages: A Database
Source(s) for Voyage of Benjamin Franklin (Bark) 1856, Nov - 1858, Jun. Sailing from Fall River, MA to Atlantic. Sent home 151 Sperm, 134 Whale, 0 Bone
- Works Progress Administration. Whaling Masters: Voyages 1731-1925. New Bedford, MA: Old Dartmouth Historical Society, 1938. Annotated copy located at the New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA.
- Starbuck, Alexander. History of the American Whale Fishery from its Earliest Inception to the Year 1876. 1876. Reprinted Secaucus, NJ: Castle Books, 1989.
- Batchelder, Charles F. Whaleship Index. New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA, 1960. Card file.
- Wood, Dennis. "Abstracts of Whaling Voyages, 1831-1873." Microfilm copy from the original manuscript held by the New Bedford Free Public Library, New Bedford, MA, 1981.
- "Fall River in the Whale Fishery." "Falmouth in the Whale Fishery." "Providence in the Whale Fishery of the Past." "Somerset in the Whale Fishery." "Record of Newport Whaling Ships." "Bristol in the Whale Fishery." New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA, Scrapbook 17. Undated clippings from unidentified newspapers.
- Reilly, Kevin S. "Slavers in Disguise: American Whaling and the African Slave Trade." American Neptune 53:4 (Summer, 1993).