American Offshore Whaling Voyages: A Database
Source(s) for Voyage of Viola (Brig) 1917, Sep - 1918, . Sailing from Portland, ME to Atlantic. Sent home Sperm, Whale, Bone
- Works Progress Administration. Whaling Masters: Voyages 1731-1925. New Bedford, MA: Old Dartmouth Historical Society, 1938. Annotated copy located at the New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA.
- Batchelder, Charles F. Whaleship Index. New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA, 1960. Card file.
- Martin, Kenneth R. Personal communication.
- Register for Seamen's Names and Descriptions, 1837-1935. 40 vols., New Bedford Port Society. On deposit at the New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA.
- Returns of Whaling Vessels Sailing from American Ports: A Continuation of Alexander Starbuck's "History of the American Whale Fishery" 1876-1928. New Bedford, MA: Old Dartmouth Historical Society, and Whaling Museum, 1959.
- Amaral, Pat. They Ploughed the Seas: Profiles of Azorean Master Mariners. St. Petersburg, FL: Valkyrie Press, Inc., 1978.
- Cabral, Reginald W. and James Theriault. Wooden Ships and Iron Men. Provincetown, MA: Trustees of The Heritage Museum, 1994.
- Stackpole, Edouard A. The Sea-Hunters: The Great Age of Whaling. Philadelphia and New York: J. B. Lippincott Company, 1953.
- duPasquier, J. Thierry. Les baleiniers francais de Louis XVI á Napolâeon. Paris: H. Veyrier, .